The AGM and Conference: A working meeting
- It is a large working meeting.
- The AGM part is for members (and alumni) only. The conference part includes invited guests.
- AGM: engage in capacity building, networking and collaboration in existing activities and forge new groups, discuss and shape the GYA’s future
- Conference: discuss a theme of global relevance from all disciplinary perspectives, present their own work in “lightning talks” and interact with renowned external speakers and GYA partner organisations
What to expect?
- Don’t expect to get much sleep. (Sleep is for the plane ride home, after all)
- Early mornings and long nights are the norm.
- Meet face-to-face, share your interests and lay out the groundwork for a new incubator or Working Group.
What does the GYA do?
The vision of the Global Young Academy (GYA) is science for all; science for the future, and its mission is to give a voice to young scientists. The GYA develops, connects and mobilizes young talents from 100 countries and across disciplines. Moreover, we empower young researchers and scientists to lead international, interdisciplinary, and inter-generational dialogue with the goal to make global decision making evidence-based and inclusive.
If you want to know more about what the GYA does, see our activities pages, divided into the following four themes:
- Science and Society
- Research Environment
- Science Education and Outreach
- GYA and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
You can also view our YouTube channel for recent videos of some GYA activities.
Don't skip this chance.
We highly recommend taking part in as many AGMs as you possibly can. The opportunity to meet fellow members all in one place at this scale only arises once a year. The AGM is an incredibly energetic, positive and engaging event, and it drives GYA work and member connections.
After three years of online AGMs, it is incredibly exciting to return to GYA’s real kind of AGM.
See here for the current version of the AGM programme: Programme – 2023 Annual General Meeting and International Conference (globalyoungacademy.net)
You can find information on past AGMs and Conferences here: Annual General Meetings | Global Young Academy
Who organises the AGM and Conference?
GYA members! Together with the GYA Office, the Executive Committee and local partners and hosts, members work hard to bring members together each year.
LOC stands for Local Organising Committee. GYA members from the host country, often together with young scientists from the host country’s National Young Academy, raise funds and awareness, coordinate the venue and all local aspects of the meeting.
The POC is the Programme Organising Committee. These are members of the GYA from around the world who design the international conference and ensure that the AGM programme is diverse and well-rounded.
You can meet 2023 POC members here