Traveling to Washington, D.C.
Three main airports service Washington, D.C.:
- DCA – Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Best for domestic flights / flights from Canadian airports
Closest airport to the city
- IAD – Washington Dulles International Airport
Closest airport for international flights; 26km outside of Washington, D.C.
Connected to D.C. via Silverline train
- BWI – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
International airport; approx. 30km outside of Washington, D.C.
Connected to D.C. via train
Online, more information on the three airports can be found here:
Guide to Washington, DC-Area Airports | Reagan, Dulles & BWI (June 2022)
Which Washington DC Area Airport Should You Fly Into (2020) |Airfarewatchdog Blog (Post date 2019, but recently updated)
Medical Insurance and costs:
Anyone planning to travel outside of their country of residence is advised to look into travel health insurance. U.S. medical costs can be extremely high without insurance. We advise you to first contact your national insurance provider about travel insurance options. If needed, these websites provide further information and bids:
The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine are excited to host the 2024 International Conference of Young Scientists and GYA Annual General Meeting in the United States. To enable international participation, a step-by-step visa guidance has been prepared. The most important piece of advice is to apply early!
1. Ensure that your passport does not expire before December 2024. If it does, renew your passport;
2. Make a visa appointment. Even if the appointment is after the event, making the first appointment is a key step. Once you are in the system, request an expediated interview appointment. If this is denied, then our partners at the National Academies can support your case.
A detailed Visa Guidance document is available for all GYA members and alumni, to guide you through the visa application process. The PDF contains a link to apply for a visa invitation letter (after you have made your appointment). If you need this document and haven’t yet received it, or if you have additional questions, e-mail .